Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Books on Deck

Last weekend I picked up two relatively new novels at the local Borders (it always helps to have a coupon!)

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa (Picador, 2009)
Home, Away by Jeff Gillenkirk (Chin Music Press, 2010)

The former was recently reviewed by Ron Kaplan back in April, and the two main characters are tied together through baseball. The story, though, is primarily centered around caring for someone who is aging, but I liked the premise and, of course, the baseball aspect.

While perusing the aisles at Borders, I came across Home, Away and picked it up, as well. Gillenkirk's novel is a father-son story and how that relationship is tested over time.

These two acquisitions bring the books currently "on the bench" (i.e., not read, yet) to ten. For me, that's a good number to have available heading into the end of the season, as well as provide for a substantial reserve for next. I now have to decide whether to go ahead and read one more before the World Series, or hold out until next Opening Day. I do have my sights on a few other novels that I'd love to add to the current Bench, including The Man With Two Arms and The End of Baseball. Snagging one or two additional books this fall would make certainly make the decision to dip into the reserve easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment