Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Leading Off: Opening Lines

"You've probably never heard of me, but I'm in the Hall of Fame."

"Our family came to New York in the winter of '89, and in the spring I saw my first game of baseball."

"Always been in the right place at the wrong time."

"Sister Mary Bernadette! How many times have I asked you not to wear your cleats in the sanctuary?"

"Bottom half of the seventh, Brock's boy had made it through another inning unscratched, one! two! three!"

"My father saw him years later playing in a tenth-rate commercial league in a textile town in Carolina, wearing shoes and an assumed name."




(Murder in Fenway Part, Soos; The Celebrant, Greenberg; Veracruz Blues, Winegardner; The Spring Habit, Hanson; The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., Jerry Waugh, Prop., Coover; Shoeless Joe, Kinsella.)

No comments:

Post a Comment